The Atlanta office is highly regarded for interdisciplinary design excellence, professional collaboration, innovative project delivery and a strong office culture. We are seeking a Technical Director to be responsible for creating a culture of technical excellence in the office. The Technical Director will partner with the Managing Director, Design Director and Operations Director to develop the office’s technical project delivery strategy. The Technical Director will be responsible for setting policy on delivery standards, leading dialogue about current delivery issues, engaging and training talent, maintaining a high level of technical design and leading aspects of quality control.
This individual will be involved in all technical aspects of project delivery and oversee office-wide construction documentation and coordination activities; develop an office-specific quality assurance and control program consistent with the firmwide program; develop standard details and procedures consistent with firmwide standards; research new technologies and building systems; and integrate sustainability into technical design solutions.
Essential to this position is the mentoring of staff to promote the technical quality of project delivery within the office and to enhance the appreciation of high-quality documents, coordinated information and well-detailed buildings as part of the firm’s overall design culture. This individual will represent the Atlanta office in the firmwide Technical Design Community and will coordinate with related firmwide design, sustainability and project management communities.
The Technical Director is further encouraged to lead the investigation of innovative technologies and systems that can improve the quality, cost-effectiveness and performance of our work and reduce environmental impact of our buildings through the use of high-performance building systems and materials.
As an office leader, the Technical Director is encouraged to engage the local and national design and construction communities through publication, participation in industry groups, and presentations at conferences and symposiums. The primary goal of these activities is to raise the profile and awareness of the Atlanta office’s and the firm’s technical expertise and technical design excellence.
The Technical Director, in partnership with management and design leaders in the office, should establish a culture of excellence that results in
- High-quality, coordinated documents
- High-performing and well-detailed buildings and spaces
- Increased technical competency of staff
- Decreased RFIs, change orders and litigation claims
- Proven ability to achieve innovative design
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide oversight of the technical aspects of project delivery, including project launch, implementation and quality.
- Ensure early project compliance with codes, program, sustainability goals and budget.
- Understand and respond to the technical implications of design decisions.
- Facilitate firm, office and project goals of excellence in design, execution and sustainability.
- Assist in the interviewing and hiring of potential technical staff.
- Collaborate with project managers to ensure that team members fully understand their roles, responsibilities and importance to project success.
- Assist in developing a documentation approach for BIM-based project delivery.
- Ensure thorough project documentation is maintained.
- Monitor project status, quality and efficiency.
- Maintain a working list of lessons learned and unresolved issues.
- Periodically review key documention to ensure conformance with quality standards and program.
- Ensure thorough QC reviews of all construction documentation before release.
- Based on the firmwide Quality Program, develop an office-specific QA/QC program, including guidelines and checklists.
- Lead in-house technical design and delivery training to improve knowledge of staff.
- Ensure that projects follow Perkins+Will standards and the firm’s Project Delivery Manual
- Develop a community of technically focused professionals within the office that encourages informal training, knowledge sharing and innovation.
- Lead the Technical Advisory Group (TAG), which is a team of technically experienced architects who serve as the representatives of the office’s practice areas.
- Develop mentoring and coaching relationship with project managers and project architects
- Promote the importance of quality documentation.
- Participate in the firmwide Technical Design Community, leading the effort to enhance and embrace project delivery systems, technology and innovation at the office and firmwide levels
Establish mutual respect for technical competence between offices and practice areas.