Title: Senior Specifications Writer-Structures
The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
• Under supervision, write and update specifications for construction work in industry standard format (CSI).
• Proofread specifications prepared by engineers and architects.
• Review specifications, drawings and project manuals prepared in-house and by consultants and other City, State and Federal Agencies, for completeness, accuracy and compliance with Parks’ policies and procedures.
• Develop and maintain a library of commonly used architectural and building system specifications.
• Collaborate with individual project design teams to develop elegant, durable and efficiently designed projects.
• As directed, research technical materials and products for potential specification.
• Regularly meet with construction staff and monitor change order occurrences to identify potential areas of specification improvement.
• Actively contribute to the development of policies, procedures, systems and standards at the Capital Division to improve efficiency and predictability in the bid and construction process.
1. A Bachelor or a Master of Architecture degree that is the first professional degree in architecture from an accredited college; or
2. A Bachelor of Science degree in architecture that is the first four years of a five-year first professional degree program in architecture from an accredited college and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in architectural work; or
3. A valid New York State Registration as an Architect.
The following examples of four-year degrees that are NOT acceptable to meet the education requirement: Bachelor of Science in Architectural Technology; Bachelor of Professional Studies in Architecture; Bachelor of Science in Fine Arts issued by the Architectural Department of a college; Bachelor of Science in Art and Design issued by the Architectural Department of a college.
Note: A Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York may be required for certain assignments. If required, this license must be maintained for the duration of the assignment.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Four years of full-time, paid experience in developing architectural or building system specifications.
2. A four-year degree in architecture or engineering from an accredited college.
3. A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York.
4. CSI certification as a "construction specifier" (CCS).
5. Architecture or Professional Engineer License.
6. Initiative to stay abreast of changing technologies, methods and materials.
7. Extraordinary organizational skills.
8. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
9. Experience in NYC public design and construction contracts.
10. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and MasterSpec. Basic level skills in AutoCAD.
Salary: $70,000 - $77,000 plus excellent benefits
Posted 2/19/16 Until Filled
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 231349
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.