Title: Deputy Chief of Capital Program Management
The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees.
• Under the direction of the Chief of Capital Program Management, oversee the planning, development and execution of projects for Parks’ annual capital program.
• Monitor program unit’s performance by analyzing progress from initial funding allocation to project closeout; prepare reports on targeted design completions and provide recommendations for adjusting priorities to meet targets.
• Meet regularly with internal support units such as Engineering, Architecture and Specifications to prioritize work assignments in line with completion schedules for the overall program.
• Coordinate program financial planning with the Chief of Capital Fiscal Management.
• Meet regularly with program unit managers and procurement staff to review status of projects in procurement. Coordinate follow-up items to ensure prompt resolution of issues.
• Lead coordination meetings with external agencies who have jurisdiction over Parks property. Provide information as required to prioritize workload. Track follow-up items to ensure scheduled deadlines are met.
• Work with Deputy Chiefs of Design and Construction and program unit managers to provide recommendations for staff assignments, personnel balancing, job postings and similar.
• Supervise support staff. Set task priorities to ensure work occurs in a timely manner.
• When directed, represent the Chief at external meetings which may include making presentations on projects, processes or data.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, business administration or public administration, and five years of full-time satisfactory experience in the planning, administering or expediting of engineering design, and/or construction, or coordinating a very large engineering project, two years of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory capacity; or
2. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and nine years of experience as described in "1" above; two years of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory capacity; or
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" or "2" above. An accredited Master's degree in one of the disciplines described in "1" above, a law degree or a valid New York State license as a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect or Landscape Architect may be substituted for one year of the required experience. However, all candidates must have the two years of the administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory experience as described in "1" above.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including public speaking and experience in translating between technical and non-technical stakeholders.
2. Ten years' full-time experience in project management of large and/or complex projects. Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment, prioritize among competing needs, manage multiple projects at the same time and respond quickly to requests for information.
3. Strong general management skills, including the ability to listen to and motivate staff.
4. Experience with the New York City design, procurement and construction processes.
5. Registered Architect, Landscape Architect or Engineer.
6. Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $120,000 - $130,000 plus excellent benefits
Posted until 1/20/17
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 276380
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.