George Mason University
Assistant Vice President, Facilities Planning and Design
The George Mason University Facilities Department is seeking an enthusiastic and energetic individual for the Assistant Vice President, Facilities Planning and Design position. This position will work at our Fairfax, Va., campus and will report directly to the Vice President, Facilities. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position is responsible for leading the university's capital and noncapital planning and design activities (approximately $50M-$100M per year) to include: project identification and planning; project design; university space planning; and associated office furniture, equipment and move coordination. This position will manage a team of campus planners, design managers, graphic designers and interior designers.
This position is also responsible for overseeing the university's 10-Year Master Plan, the university's Six-Year Capital Plan, and serves as one of the key representatives working with our county officials and elected leaders for all our locations in terms of identifying opportunities that impact both the university and respective municipalities.
- Advanced degree in architecture, engineering, urban planning, or a closely related discipline, coupled with significant experience (15 or more years is desired) managing a planning and design organization (preferably in a higher education environment);
- Experience or a detailed understanding of the construction of large scale capital projects and how those projects relate to planning and design activities;
- Ability to manage professional architects and/or engineers;
- Ability to successfully work across department lines with key stakeholders, contractors and other state agencies;
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing;
- Experience in selecting, negotiating, and managing professional services contracts;
- Ability to form and lead multidisciplinary teams in the areas of design and construction;
- Ability to support project delivery meeting client quality expectations on time and on budget;
- Ability to analyze complex financial data and present analysis and recommendations to decision makers of all levels;
- Ability to work collaboratively with peers as part of a larger team and organization; and
- Ability to develop standards, design guidance, criteria, policies, procedures and processes.
- Registered Architect or Professional Engineer (any state) is highly desired.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA302z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by March 3, 2017; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.