SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a City Design Practice Manager for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
Desired skills and expertise:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience with 8-10 years of progressively responsible project experience
- Certified Planner/Licensed Architect with ability to represent SOM domestically and abroad with proven knowledge of general planning and architecture practice including programming and site planning
- Strong analytical, oral and written communication skills with the ability to build quick rapport with all levels of employees, clients, consultants and vendors
- Artful leader capable of collaborating with architects and urban designers to develop conceptual architecture and public realm strategies and researching innovative solutions to old and new challenges facing today's global cities
- Proven ability in problem identification, problem solving and conflict resolution
- Ability to be responsible for projects with limited senior management oversight
- Manages projects towards profitability, monitors and documents project process while protecting SOM from financial and legal risk
- Contributes to SOM’s leadership by enabling clear communications among team leaders, consultants and clients while promoting professional relationships internally and externally
- Develops and maintains a Project Plan for each project along with preparation of services agreement in conjunction with Managing Partner. Monitors services vis-à-vis the contact requirements and identifies changes in project scope, schedule or service that result in supplemental or additional services and bring such changes to the immediate attention of the client and Project Partner
- Serves as primary contact with client, external consultants and vendors
- Schedules and chairs all client meetings. Records the minutes of these meetings and documents action items. Participates in marketing and business development
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.
Please submit an online application via the SOM Career Center at www.som.com/about/careers