The Johns Hopkins University, Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU/ APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located between Baltimore, Maryland and Washington, DC, is seeking a design oriented and planning focused Architect, Landscape Architect or Urban Designer to join its office in Laurel, Maryland.
Applicants need to submit a resume and work samples / portfolio of no more than twenty pages to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered.
Under the direction of the Campus Development Office supervisor, the Planning Specialist will participate with office personnel in the continued development and refinement of the Campus Development Portfolio including the campus master and ten-year plans, interior space master and allocation planning, high-level cost estimating, and near and long term scheduling. The Campus Development Office embraces a culture of collaboration and shared expertise of our best designers, our strongest thinkers, and our most creative professionals.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
• Works independently with the support of senior staff guiding design and technical tasks.
• Provides design and technical guidance to staff.
• Independently identifies areas of research in support of projects.
• Conceptualize design solutions.
• Identifies the need to prepare calculations and analysis.
• Organizes and leads production of graphic presentations.
• Prepares and revises drawings, presentations and renderings.
• Possesses strong graphic communication skills, including hand graphics.
• Develops work plans in response to project requirements.
• Prioritize and concurrently handle multiple projects.
• Maintains effective communication with project team members.
• Interacts well with office staff and clients in a manner that builds productive relationships.
• Production experience with Adobe Creative Suite, GIS, AutoCAD, and Sketch-Up required, Revit preferred.
Education and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Design or related field; Master's degree preferred.
• Five (5) to seven (7) years of professional discipline or related experience.
• Professional registration preferred, professional registration track required.
• LEED accreditation preferred.
Special Working Conditions:
Includes routine operation of JHU/APL vehicles. The Applicant must possess a valid Driver's License. Selected applicant will be subject to a background check, including their driving record.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Internal Number: 18698
About Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area.